Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Miles Robert Riley


On Valentines day around 3 in the afternoon I went to the bathroom and there was some spotting I didn't think much of it. Then within the hour there was 2 or 3 more instances of small quarter size amounts of fluid leaking out. I called the doctor since nothing like this had ever happened to me before and I was freaked out a little bit (one would think with it being my 5th child I would have had this experience before but no this was all new territory). My doctor sent me to the hospital, Jay was in Provo plowing snow and so I called him to meet me at the hospital and then called my neighbors over to help with the kids. Bob and Larene Jensen came over, Larene to stay with the kids until Grandma could get there and Bob to drive me to the hospital. Bob asked if I would like a priesthood blessing before we left and I said yes. At the end of the blessing before he closed he paused for a really long time and then said you and your baby will be fine. I felt such a rush of calm and peace come over me I was no longer worried or afraid at all. We went to the hospital where Jay was waiting for me. We went up and they hooked me up to machines and started running tests after being there for 4 hours I asked if they had done a test to see if my water had broken they hadn't and did the test but by then they had done so many other tests that the results came back negative. They sent us home saying everything was fine. Sunday I had the same leaking all day long and Monday I had it as well I finally called my doctor and said humor me I think my water has broken but it's such a tiny leak it's not constant can I come in so you can run a test? I went in and he came back in with the results and sent me straight to the hospital he was pretty upset that the hospital hadn't caught this 2 nights before. I called Jay and told him to meet me at the hospital our wait was over we were having a baby that night. I had called mom and got her on board with the kids and as soon as I got to the hospital I was met by a team of nurses who immediately prepped me for surgery (this was about 5 pm). We waited for Jay to get there and suited him up in surgery garb and then they wheeled me into the operating room. In a c-section you always have to have 2 doctors there. My doctor was there and the other doctor was in the middle of a delivery so they did everything to finish prepping me and then we waited a few minutes and the other doctor rushed in and at 7:02 they made the first cut 7 minutes later Miles was born he was 5 lbs 15 oz they had a newborn ICU team there to whisk him away for fear of infection or pre-mature lungs etc. they looked him over and pronounced him perfect and left him in the capable hands of the nursery. They did a blood sugar test on him and his blood sugar was low so they put a tube in him and gave him some formula. They took blood to check for infection and started him on antibiotics certain that he would have an infection and thought it better to do preventative rather than let him get too sick. As it turns out he never did have an infection he did an entire round of antibiotics but the first culture they did never came back positive. With my water being broken for 2 days the risk of infection was very high but because of a priesthood blessing he was fine. We are so grateful to a loving Heavenly Father for sending us this sweet spirit and for the tender mercy of a healthy baby when so many things could have gone wrong. Although it’s been a rough recovery for me I am very happy that I have my little Miles here and best of all I’m not pregnant!

4 comments:

Amy Jones said...

Ummm....pictures? I'm glad you and the baby are fine. Love the name!

Rebecca Carter said...

We're so blessed to live in these days, with the miracles of modern medicine and the great power of the priesthood.

We're glad that all is well for your family.

With our Love and best wishes for all,

Aunt Becki and Harvey

Lauriann said...

I'm so glad you're doing well and that baby is healthy. Hopefully we can meet before I move in May.

Josh and Emily said...

Congratulations Julie! I love the name Miles! Can't wait to see him.